After a good night’s sleep, some thoughts on the Memphis trip.
- People in the Memphis area don’t handle snow and ice real well.
- FedEx has a LOT of airplanes. When you usually see 2 or 3 a day in Toronto you’re not prepared for 24 hour operations. I joked on Facebook that the Tennessee state bird must be a FedEx jet.
- Sticking to a diet while on the road is tough. Especially when traveling with folks who like red meat and really, really like beer.
- Air travel continues to get more and more of a chore every day.
- You can find a place to smoke in most US airports – just need to do a little pre-flight research
- The Chrysler PT Cruiser (my rental for the week) is a piece of shit.
- Speaking of cars, white is a very popular color in Tennessee and Mississippi.
- Graceland (at least from the street) is less than spectacular and the area is incredibly run down for such a popular tourist destination
At least I made it back without getting caught in all the travel delays and cancellations that have plagued the Southern US all week. Luckily I had my return flights changed to get home earlier. My original itinerary had me coming back through Atlanta. Delta cancelled nearly all their flights to Atlanta on Thursday night. Instead, I came back through Detroit and everything worked out fine.
Long weekend ahead, then 2 days in the office and 2 days of vacation. Next Sunday, I get to do this whole trip again!