March 28, 1957. First flight of the Canadair CP-107 Argus.
The Canadair CP-107 Argus (CL-28) was a marine reconnaissance aircraft designed and manufactured by Canadair for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Canadian Forces (CF). In its early years, the Argus was reputedly the finest anti-submarine patrol bomber in the world. The Argus served throughout the Cold War in the RCAF’s Maritime Air Command and later the CF’s Maritime Air Group and Air Command.
33 CP-107’s were built to replace Lancasters and Neptunes that previously filled the maritime reconnaissance role.
The Argus flew its last service mission on 24 July 1981, and was replaced by the CP-140 Aurora.
Picture above from the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa shows Argus Mark II 742, the last Argus to fly, in the restoration hangar.